Monday, June 15, 2009

Package Tourists







Package Tourists

Varadero beach is gorgeous. It’s fine white sandy beach extends mile after glorious mile in each direction of my resort.

But, this is not my kind of place and I don’t like being here very much. I have a wrist band to identify me and what kind of package I have.






This place is tailor made for the all inclusive type of tourist where they have flights, hotel, food, entertainment and all they want to drink for one price. I rebel against all of that as I would rather find places and meet the locals.

Nonetheless, I am pleased I visited. The beach extends along the peninsular for a 20 kilometre swathe of unbroken white sands edging the Straits of Florida which is very pretty. Its been a lovely rest and my hotel room is large, comfortable and has a nice shower with hot water. A bonus, I caught up on my washing. From my balcony, large enough to host a party of twenty, I can watch more glorious sunsets.

This is a beautiful part of Cuba and down this end many of the hotels blend rather sensitively into the landscape. At the “posh” end, hotels are pristine, prissie, protrude and are pricey.

Getting around is very easy. There’s the option of – horse and cart; new taxi, old (beautifully restored or not) taxi, scooter and buggy contraption or the Varadero hop on hop off bus (approx AUD6). Yesterday while I waited for the bus an old white Cadillac convertible taxi passed me by. If I see it again, I’m hailing it and going for a ride; anywhere…it is gorgeous.

Supermarkets are also reasonably well stocked here, unlike Habana. I got ripped off yesterday by not one but by two cashiers. At one I was overcharged. The second I was shortchanged and when I kept my hand out the change was topped up, but I reaslised later, it still wasn’t enough. So I was on my guard at the bank and managed to pick up a really good trick. When counting out my Euro, I noticed one note float off the desk. Naturally I thought she would finish counting and pick it up. But she brazenly overlooked it and said “Euro 140”.

My response, “I think one note dropped on the floor”. After a cursory glance she replied “No. I stood calmly and after a short delay, she looked harder and retrieved my 10 Euro!


Photo: Gorgeous Varadero Beach.
Sunset from my deck at Varadero....there were some good things here!!!






I´m off to Trinidad next. I added this to my trip. Will let you know how I enjoy that.

No comments: