Saturday, June 13, 2009

Out and About in Habana







Out and about in Habana

I am a disgraceful tourist! It’s excessively hot outside and I retreated to the coffee shop attached to the Hotel Habana Libre. This hotel, once part of the Hilton chain, was commandeered by Castro’s men in January 1959 just a few months after it had opened. Castro ran the countries affairs from the 24th floor of this hotel for awhile. Photos on the 2nd floor show his men lounging about in the hotel.

I managed to cool down in the cafes airconditioned bliss whilst indulging in some passable food.

What a beguiling city this is. Around every corner intriguing new sights unfold, sending my senses into overdrive!

Earlier I walked several kilometers from the Gran Teatro de La Habana (the outstanding building is home of the national ballet), along the curved waterfront and up to the hotel. By the way, I tried to get tickets but they are not currently performing and they couldn’t advise whether they are later in June; I will try again.

Anyway, I strolled down the majestically shaded avenue to the harbour. I was so busy gawping at the buildings around me that I nearly missed the large modern sculptres lining the middle of the pedestrian walkway I was strolling down. Every few metres seats invite passersby to stop and rest awhile. And I did.

The waterfront area is being developed and once complete will surely tempt tourists by the plane load.

From my airconditioned seat in the café I can see the queue over the road steadily growing as locals wait patiently for an ice-cream. Cuba is famous for Coppelia ice-cream as it is for people having to queue for all manner of goods and services. Apparently you stand in line and have whatever flavour is offered that day. As yet, I haven’t been tempted. Perhaps after tomorrow when I’m at the beach resort of Varadero which is about four hours by road from here, I will indulge.

Apparently Varadero is very touristy so I am unsure how long I will want to stay.






Photos: A very happy artist

signing the piece of work I just purchased.

Typical touristy photo.

The antique bookstore in Plaza de Armas.....

No comments: