Sunday, June 7, 2009

I’m not sure I should be let out alone






Honestly I’m not sure I should be let out alone!!!

I had been wandering joyfully along the decaying but beautiful calles (streets) of Old Havana when I looked down at my blouse to discover the middle button undone, revealing my (admittedly chaste) bra. Horrors!

This could bring a new meaning to the chap enthusiastically shouted “I love you” and proceed to strum his guitar and serenade me with the song “I just called to say I love you”. And I thought he was hustling the tourist for a tip. Or later, the guy who blew me an enthusiastic kiss as I sat supping a cold beer and awaited my meal whilst watching the world go by.

Life on the street here is vibrant and talented musicians play a variety of instruments so the sound wafts alluringly around every corner of this city. It is a place of contrasts; I have no seat on my toilet at the casa but I have TWO glorious chandeliers. Much here looks very jaded but clearly was once exquisite.

After an hour here I was convinced that I am in love. I’ve found a place to rival Vientiane (Laos) and Cambodia’s Siem Reap. I want to walk like the locals. They exude style and sexuality in every move; both males and females.

I had a divine coffee at Plaza Vieja where some of the old buildings which have World Heritage status are undergoing renovations. Even the coffee rivals that of Laos (which is organic and grown locally) or New Zealand (where we have perfected coffee roasting of the imported ingredients). I have an idea for a posting about coffee but that can wait for another day when I have sampled a few more.

It’s been very hot today but around mid afternoon a refreshing breeze provided some relief. I had an early night because I calculated I had spent over 24 hours at airports since I left Sydney. Then there’s the flying time to add to that so I am a very tired but deliciously happy traveller.

I’m surprised…..how quickly I fell in love with this city.

I’m glad…..that I took Spanish lessons but wished I had worked harder with it and that I’d taken the time to do a refresher course. Its coming back to me though and I sometimes I’m able to make myself understood. They are very patient with my attempts and I think its appreciated. I have this philosophy that a traveler is in their land and so one should never expect English but it does make life easier with certain dealings.

I love the helpfulness of the locals…..I was looking for a new Casa today. The one recommended to me didn’t suit and so the owner walked a few blocks with me calling in on several (they are not easily identifiable). He found a lady with a room but it didn’t suit either so she made several calls and finally found a possibility for me. That owner came to get me and walked me back to his place for an inspection. I’m going to move there (Pepe’s place) on Monday. It has a balcony overlooking the street and although the water is cold (only), I chose it because it has more light and a table for me to set up my laptop etc.
Photos: the lounge room at my casa (house)
Typical old buildings.

No comments: