Saturday, July 4, 2009

TOTALLY Chilled....




Totally Chilled…..

I don’t think it would be possible for me to be more relaxed than I am right now. A few nights in Vinales and three nights in Las Terrazas at the Hotel Moka has totally eliminated any residual stress. Not that there was much stress now that I’ve been on vacation for over one month. It feels longer but my calendar tells me it is just a month.

Las Terrazas is an intriguing spot and quite unlike anything else (I’ve seen) in Cuba. It’s an eco resort.

Burning off and bad land management techniques over time, left the small community of around 1000 people living in poor conditions. In the early 70’s a reservoir was created, a model settlement constructed and pines planted to stabilise the hillsides. The government approved an eco-tourism resort and in the 90’s Hotel Moka was sensitively constructed to blend into the hillside. It’s pretty and peaceful…if you ignore the barking dogs that is.

One hundred metres or so from the hotel is an eco/organic vegetarian restaurant – El Romero. A vegetarian restaurant is very rare in Cuba. The food is so divine I went back for several meals. They offer something I would love to see other café’s and restaurants adopt – the option of choosing a small, medium or large portion.

I’ve had an incredibly (plenty of emphasis on the word incredibly!) laid back time in Las Terrazas watching day turn ever so slowly into night and vice versa. As I sat on the deck chair (not rocking this time) I spent hours observing the black hawk like birds swoop gracefully through the trees in front of me. Sometimes they get involved in “fights” chasing smaller birds.

Next I’ll spend a few more days in Habana then Mexico, NZ then Sydney. The temperature here has been mostly around 32 degrees so going back to the cold will be a little bit of a shock. But, I’m told the mountains are covered in snow and so looking across Lake Taupo to the Mts Ruapehu, Ngaruhoe and Tongariro will be a pretty sight; one I always enjoy.
Photos: The Hotel Moka
Another car...this time with bullet holes in the door. There are many cars around with bullet holes.

No comments: