Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mexico City – my hotel and my location




Mexico City – my hotel and my location

The staff at my hotel, Eurostar Zona Rosa (http://www.eurostarhotels.com/) are fantastic and so too is my hotel which I selected after researching and reading the good reports on http://www.tripadvisor.com/. I love tripadvisor.

It was really difficult to decide where to stay, in this sprawling city of 19 million people. However, I am happy I selected the Zona Rosa area which is in the gay friendly part of town. Despite (or perhaps because of) the massive number of police, armed with huge serious looking guns, and security guards it feels a safe area for a lone tourist.

It’s been lovely staying in this small very friendly hotel which is well located for relatively easy access to key attractions, shops, cafes and a market.

The hotel might be small but there is nothing small about my room, or should I say rooms.

I have a lounge room with a TV, a three seater and two seater couch, microwave, coffee maker etc and then my massive bed made up with pure white starched sheets and another TV etc. Internet is wireless and free which is always a bonus to this traveler.

After Cuba it was extremely exciting to see things in shops and, probably more importantly, things you might want to buy. Yet another reminder of how hard the Cubans have it with their rationing of all manner of things including food.

But in Mexico I was extremely impressed with the silver jewelry and spoiled myself by splurging on a few pieces. What’s more it was difficult to limit myself to just a few such is the creative artistry shown in the design and craftsmanship.

I’m loving….the shops….all glitter, light and lovely displays.

I’m enjoying….all the sculptures in the street. Along the Reforma (a wide tree lined avenue) the seats magnificently sculptured in bronze of many and varied designs. The Mexicans have taken such pride in these pieces of art.

I’m missing…..netball….netball and more netball. Thankfully a friend keeps giving me the competition updates.

I’m surprised…..just how cosmopolitan this city is and how much art’s on display for all to enjoy.

It was touching…...to have the bell hop stand on the side of the street and wave goodbye to me as I was driven to the airport in my taxi. How often has that happened to travelers? It's a first for me....what about you?
Photos: Some ice madam?
Mexican vendor

No comments: