Saturday, July 4, 2009

My first dining experience in Mexico city

My First Dining Experience in Mexico City
It’s always a minor miracle when, in non English speaking countries, the food delivered to my table is what I asked for, or even something close to that! With each success I grin to myself, just a little.

On my first morning here, I waived the easy option of breakfast at the hotel, where staff members speak my language extremely well. Instead I wandered close to my base along the open air mall lined with restaurants and shops.

I entered a restaurant and sat down. None of the staff spoke English. Undaunted, but too tired to make much effort, I ordered coffee and a tortilla (a type of Spanish omelette). My coffee arrived promptly. Then I waited and waited but no food arrived. The waiter hovered and I could tell he was concerned for my welfare but what he was saying was a complete mystery to me.

After some time he said “algo mas?” Ah ha, I know that one - it means “anything else?” I tried to explain that my egg order hadn’t materialized but in my tired state it was too hard.

He then had a brain wave and presented me with a massive basket of breads, croissants and other tasty goodies. I confess, that this time, I took the easy option and selected sugared croissant. So much for a protein based breakfast.

Thankfully it’s not always like that.

I'm loving....the vibe of this city which is completely unexpected.

I'm amazed....at how attentive, professional and caring the restaurant staff are.

I'm reading....ooh some fluff!!! It kept my mind occupied but I can't remember what it was.

I'm missing....all my favourite food. Before I left Cuba I was really missing the easy access to the internet and wireless connections. However, my hotel here in Mexico has free wireless internet. What a bonus! I love that!

sorry no photos to accompany this one. I will try in a day or two or three.

No comments: