Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mexico City – forget the stereotypes




Mexico City – forget the stereotypes

Mexico City has blown my stereotyped views sky high. Staying in the vibrant Zona Rosa area is quieter than the historic area around the cathedral. The streetscapes are packed with many fabulous sculptures.

Just outside the city (about 50kms north east) is the Teotihuacan pyramid complex which was conceived around 1st century AD and built about 100 years after that. After climbing to the top of the Sun (248 steps!) and Moon pyramids, I awoke the next morning to find that my leg muscles were very stiff and my legs had a mind of their own.

It’s an amazing site showing a glimpse of a former life and so close to the city. Next time I won’t go on a tour so that I have more freedom and time to wander.

In the city, the Museo Nacional de Antropologia is a wonder of information and displays of early history. It would be easy to loose oneself for a day in the excellent displays of early civilization and those depicting the evolution of mankind. Not being all that keen on museums I surprised myself by spending over half a day there and would be happy to return to see what I missed.

Swine flu has decimated tourism here. Several people have said that visitor levels are just 10% of this time last year.

I’m extremely keen to return to this city and to explore more of Mexico.

After a few days in NZ I’ll return to Sydney and must begin the (totally unexpected) search for another job.

Then I will repeat the cycle. Work, travel, work, travel. Aaah what a life this is!




I’m enjoying…….the food here. It’s fresh, tasty and delivered with efficiency and a smile. I’m also enjoying the cooler weather here.

I’m amazed……at just how different Mexico is from my expectations. This country is fascinating. I can’t wait to return.

I’m surprised….that my knowledge and understanding of the Spanish language has grown since I’ve been surrounded by it. It’s still very basic and it is still difficult to make myself understood. The waiters have no patience which is fair enough and they ask if I speak English which I find mildly insulting after my attempts!! Te he. They then converse in my language. However, others are patient and love me trying. I’ve taken to writing in my diary the full date in Spanish and I asked a waiter the other day if what I’d written was correct. He was really happy to tell me that it was! Nice.

I’m looking forward to…….getting back to NZ for a time. Actually by the time I get this published I will be back in the cold.
Photos: Ancient mural
The pyramid - I climbed all 248 steps to the top to see the centuries old sites laid out before me.

No comments: