Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Koh Samui - The Jungle Club


Koh Samui – Jungle Club

It’s early – well not that early actually but at this time, 0700, I have the resort to myself and its very peaceful. I’m sitting high up on a hill with lush green hills around the back of the resort but then it drops away down the hill towards the flat area of Chaweng township and the sea. In the near distance I can see numerous islands dot the landscape. Fishing boats bob gently in the distance. On a clear day it’s possible to see the mainland but the days have been rather misty so I haven’t been able to see it.
I am sitting in a thatch covered gazebo that juts out right over the edge of the hill and it truly is an idyllic place to bring my laptop and write. If you want to see where I am try www.jungleclubsamui.com. At night, as I sit and enjoy a beer and dinner I watch the town below me light up and feel happy that I’m here and not down there. They have developed "my" resort sensitively and have provided guests with many different places to tuck away and enjoy the vista or curl up with a good book.

It's isolated here as taxis can only come to the bottom of the hill. A jeep from the Jungle Club picked me up from the bottom of the hill and we drove up a steep concrete driveway which then turns into an even steeper narrow driveway and when the concrete runs out, we drive, very slowly, over a dusty, narrow rutted dirt track and then we reach paradise. I sat on the back of the jeep, and held on tight, but it was fun.

I went into the town of Chaweng and I hated it. It’s dirty and smells of sewerage – probably because they infrastructure has struggled to keep up with the development which is intensive. Many bored looking tourists wander aimlessly and many more race around the streets on motor scooters. Actually there are a great many accidents here because people aren’t used to riding scooters or the roads. I saw several walking wounded with gashes and grazes I imagine came from falling off a scooter – no helmets either!

The beach here is sublime. The sand is white and fine, like powder, the sea a gorgeous green and it laps gently onto the shoreline – but the resorts are tightly stacked right along the beach. When I went down to the beach, I could hardly move for loungers packed very closely together and lined with sun worshippers. Every brochure you read says to dress modestly and avoid nudity on the beach yet I was shocked (and not because I am prudish) to see many topless. I hate to think what the well covered Thai women plying the sun worshippers with snacks, drinks and trinkets must think. This is, I think, the only time I have ever felt embarrassed to be a Westerner.

Just back from the beach resorts lining the sea front is a myriad of shops – all selling the same things. I’d arranged for the resort to pick me up after four hours so I booked in for a massage (which was great) to use up some of the time and get me away from the beach and pungent smells around the street. But it’s not all bad as there are some great cafes and I had a superb meal at Will Wait.

I’m here for two more nights and then I’m not sure where I’m going. I will try to sort that out today. Bo Phut which is also on this island of Koh Samui has been recommended as a quieter beach and one I might like. The internet won’t work for me here so I need to go back (sigh) into Chaweng to check my emails, load up a few more articles on my blog and buy some more supplies.

I’m missing…….my flush toilet. Here the toilets are Thai style – not squat though (phew) – they have a porcelain bowl and a seat but you have to wash away the waste with a bowl and water. It works well but did I tell you….I really miss my flush toilet.

The best spot……
the views from here which are hard to beat. See my "new" office in the photo above.

I’m surprised at……just how easily I’ve slipped into this lifestyle and one day is blending into another. A rare treat but one I’m sure I can get used to – for awhile anyway. As you know, I write a journal every day (sometimes several times a day) and I usually just write the date i.e. 11/2/08 but now I’m writing Monday 11/2/08 to keep track of the days.

Taste Sensation……I’ve found some divine rich dark Chocolate – Ritter and I’m enjoying a piece or two with my cup of tea as an after dinner sweet. Although the food is very good here for another taste sensation I’m going back to my Bangkok hotel, Phranakorn Nornlen, for a Thai style melon (it looks and has the texture of avocado) diced and served in coconut milk and ice. Mmmmmm. I wonder if we could grow that and dragon fruit in New Zealand? The food there was sublime.

Best Coffee……Huh? I’ll be suffering withdrawal symptoms soon.

No comments: