Friday, February 8, 2008

Have the Rules Changed? Sydney Airport

Have the Rules Changed? An Experience at Sydney Airport

I checked in at Sydney airport for my flight to Bangkok. The lady on the check-in counter asked if I had any sharp objects in my checked (yes checked) baggage. I answered yes - that I had scissors and a small knife. She advised me that they needed to be removed and put into my hand luggage.
"Are you sure?" I asked - voice on a high rising inflection.
"Yes" she said very firmly. "There are new security regulations and all sharp objects must be placed in hand luggage".
"Isn't it the other way round? Sharp objects MUST be in checked baggage" I said.
"Oh...now I'm uncertain". "I'll need to ask my supervisor". The check-in process continued while I was allocated a seat etc and then she added, "Your way does sound more logical and sharp objects should be in checked luggage. It is only my second day on the job".
She never did ask her supervisor and my sharp objects remained in my checked bag. But she did thank me profusely for correcting her because, as she said, this was the start of her shift and she was about to give everyone erroneous instructions.
Just imagine!
Oh the joys of travelling when English is your first language, making it easy (in English speaking countries) to understand and challenge a point being made.

No comments: