Sunday, February 24, 2008

Creatures of Habit


Are We ALL Creatures of Habit?

At my wee piece of paradise on Choeng Mon Beach, I’m observing that many of us are creatures of habit.

Three times now, I’ve elected to have my breakfast at Crystals where I take a table in the building, rather than outside on the loungers. My table overlooks the two rows of sun loungers on the sand shaded by tatty multi-coloured beach umbrellas and right in front of them the waves roll in relentlessly.

Each day the same scene unfolds.

A foursome from some Northern European country (perhaps even Russia), nab the same loungers – one for each of them. The other day someone had used that time old method of reservation; leaving clothes on two of the front row seats. After the foursome arrived, a ten minute discussion ensued. The group leader was INDIGNANT that someone else had the audacity to reserve what she clearly determined where “her” loungers. So, she removed the clothing, then put her hands on her hip while there was another ten minute discussion placed the other person’s belongings on different loungers - in the second row. She was very proud of herself and then ordered her friends (it seemed me) to sit where she directed them.

The four then each take off a top layer of clothing, the women releasing bulbous uncontrollable breasts, go for a swim, change into dry swimsuits (on the beach), hang the wet swimsuits on the umbrella ribs, rub suntan lotion on and get out the sudoku book.

A rather dapper Frenchman has a slightly different routine. His spot is three along from the foursome. He spends several minutes adjusting his sun umbrella and then he places his important daily requirements i.e. cigarettes, cell phone and book on the table beside him. He walks up to the restaurant (where I’m sitting) and grabs their broom to take back with him.

An aside - these brooms are amazing and are used everywhere. They have a thin bamboo handle about a metre in length. Woven, very neatly to the handle are multiple strands of a dried grass. Each strand is approximately 60 cm long but tied up the handle so the ends are left at differing lengths and the grasses splay out in the shape of an open fan. They are lovely and soft to use and very effective.

Our dapper Frenchman, who dresses in a number of different snazzy patterned swimsuits each day, figure hugging of course, fastidiously sweeps his blue wooden lounger with this broom. He then struts around his lounger inspecting the sand and rids the area of every stone. I don’t see many stones but even one invader must be gotten rid of. He then lies in his lounger, adjusts the angle numerous time to get it just right for the sun. Often its still not right, so he gets up, digs out some sand underneath the front legs to lower the lounger and improve the view. Organising his towels – one to lie on and another rolled up for a head support demands even more attention.

Finally, after about half an hour of detailed fussing, he is ready to settle down with his book.

I find all this fascinating and observing others helps to alleviate some of the concerns I have about my own routines! Of course, I don’t think I’m as bad as this but others might disagree!

The funny thing is, if I wander past again 6 or 7 hours later, the same people are in the same spots so I suppose all this attention to detail is important when you spend so long in the one place.

I could write many more observations, like the elderly French couple who are tanned golden brown – all over – from the (plentiful) bits of their bodies on display. Or I could mention the relationships I've seen develop between local girls and visiting men. But, I don’t want to bore you, or, give you the impression I’ve nothing better to do with my time!
Photo taken during "transition" time at around 6p.m. - the sun-bathers have gone and the diners are not yet out for dinner.

No comments: