Thursday, February 7, 2008

Bye Antipodeans...for now


Bye Antipodeans…for now….

It’s my last day in the antipodeans – for awhile anyway and I’m sitting at Sydney airport with a glass of champagne. Well…a girl’s has to treat herself once in awhile!

I’m excited and looking forward to the next part of my trip. Its been wonderful to catch up with friends in Sydney but the reality is that my trip starts now because from here on in I leave behind many comforts – the ease of communicating, being able to read the signs easily, social mores etc. But this stepping out into the unknown is the wondrous part of traveling.

I met some friends of Pam and Allan’s – who have traveled extensively throughout Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. They were extremely enthusiastic about all three countries and gave me many ideas. Several people have suggested I extend my itinerary to include Laos, this couple included. Right now anything is possible so watch this space.

I’m missing….. Aside from family, friends and my pillow – all a given really – I’m missing internet hotspots in cafes and the ease of access to the net from my home. I hadn’t quite realized how dependant I’d become on regular updates. As an “ideas person” my mind is always busy (something I want to calm down) and so it’s been very easy to fuel my “ideas appetite” with a flick of the internet search button. But once I get to Vietnam, most of the hotels offer free internet access – take note NZ and Australia!

The biggest surprise…..So far in planning my trip the biggest surprise (aside from the length of time it took to pack up my home and finalise the myriad of detail necessary to leave NZ for a couple of years) is that you can get a Cambodian visa online. It was so easy to do too and it arrived in my inbox within the day – very efficient. Who would have thought! http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/.

The biggest challenge…..I have always been a light traveler and I usually go away for a week or so with not much more than a day pack. But for this trip I’ve packed, repacked and repacked, each time eliminating things I thought were essential. What concerns me is that I have very few clothes left but my bags at 17kg are still too heavy. What have I packed? Perhaps I’ll do a list later. So aside from leaving behind really important baggage my other challenge has been negotiating rush hour Sydney commuter traffic as I transferred from Pam and Allan’s divine home on the water at Cammeray Marina (up 106 steps) via bus and train to my next stop.

Taste sensation…..the superb BBQ (pork chops, apple, vegetables) and salad cooked by Pam and Allan and eaten by the marina in the company of many yachties from around the world. Thankfully there was overhead cover because it rained non stop but the company was warm and friendly.

Favourite Coffee…..Well I AM a caffeine addict! None. The coffee’s been extremely disappointing.
Photo is.....The view from the deck at the marina house (Cammeray). Pam and Allan gave up their bedroom for me (how special) so that I could have this view upon waking. What a treat!

No comments: