Monday, March 24, 2008

How to Give?

How Should I Give?

Poverty here in Cambodia is noticeable in many ways. Children, adults and many with physical disfigurement do it. They all want money, or food.

Ladies about my age approach and their signal is to hold out an empty bowl and/or motion with fingertips at their mouths imploring me with big sad eyes to give. Mothers with tiny wee babies sit on the footpath waiting, hoping.

People in wheelchairs – missing arms or legs or both (the war has left a shocking mark on many people) wave a cap at me as I stroll past.

Kids, some as young as five or six wander the streets in dirty clothes. Often a young child will be in charge of an even younger one (the latter usually naked) held on by a cotton wrap and they want money for food too. Sometimes the child is thrust at me.

Yesterday from the lovely breezy comfort of the Foreign Correspondents Club (made famous during the war), I sat up high and nursed a lovely cold beer and indulged myself in some overpriced spring rolls. From this great vantage point I had a wonderful view over the Tonle Sap River. Across the road there’s a nice stretch of green grass adjacent to the river. From here I watched a young girl (maybe 10 or 11) bath herself and her 18 month old charge in the river, then stretch out on the grass. As each tourist stopped to see the view, she got up, positioned her sleeping charge on her hip and approached them for money for food. Eventually one gave. She left immediately – to buy food – to give it to the beggar-master (it’s said they exist) I couldn’t be sure as she went out of view.

It’s terribly sad. There’s no social welfare here. The NGO’s (Non Government Organisations) are doing a great job but the problem is immense. My dilemma is, should I give and encourage a dependency on begging? Yet I have a conscience, my western wealth is immense (comparatively) and there is an immediate need.

Personally I’ve decided on two approaches. I patronize stores (and put money in the donation boxes there) where and when I can because I know they are training people for fair trade employment. They help to give individuals skills and perhaps assistance to help them start up a business. Then, I give away a certain amount of money each day.

Of course, whatever I do, it’s never enough, but I’ve decided this is what I can do for now.

I’d be really interested to hear some feedback on the approach others have (or would) take when traveling in a developing country.

No comments: