Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Romantic Coffee Story








Some time ago I promised a story about coffee. It’s taken awhile but here it is. It’s a sweet tale from those incurable Cuban romantics.

To win the hand of the woman who had captured his heart, a besotted young man had to present an unusual gift to the father of his beloved.

For three years, he sought something truly special to gift his prospective father-in-law. By chance he came upon a magnificent gift; the aromatic black drink of coffee. His father in law was most impressed with the gift and plans were made for a lavish wedding with many influential guests…..(I guess…the story is silent on this point so I have taken writers license!)

From then on the world (and I) discovered the pleasures of savoring the aroma and taste of a cup of coffee.

The Habanan Escorial Café located on the edge of Plaza la Vieja (I’ve written about this world heritage site earlier) has 60 different types of coffee all made from beans grown in the Escambray Mountains in central Cuba. The beans are roasted on the premises. Some choices here include coffee laced with whiskey, cinnamon and cream; Miss Ochun (coffee with banana liqueur and cream); Cupido (coffee with tangerine liqueur) and so on.

This is THE spot for coffee connoisseurs without doubt. It’s excellent coffee and a good people watching spot in a superb location. As I sit I surprise myself by enjoying that all pervading smoke wafting around me from thick, hand rolled Cuban cigars. Where else but in Cuba? Aah the life of a traveler.

Photos:
Coffee Escorial Café - note the cigar options available on the menu!
Cappuccino in Mexico. It looks pretty but I gave up after ordering two since they were very milky and had almost no coffee flavour.
A coffee (and a luscious buttery croissant!) from the New Caledonia market at the start of this trip.

No comments: