Saturday, November 1, 2008

Airport Pet Hates

Airport Pet Peeves

I love travelling....but there are some things that remain constant irritants and "life as a flash packer" would be even better if airlines and those in charge of airports accommodated our needs a little more. Here are some of of the things that irritate me as I journey around the world:

1. Cafes where you order food and drinks but have to carry it all to the table yourself. Hey guys - think about this - we are travelling and that means extra hand baggage which also means it is much more difficult for us to conduct this juggling act. It's especially challenging for single travellers because its impossible to safely take a table and leave a few things then go up to the counter to make the food/drink decisions. If you forget something crucial to make the meal an enjoyable experience (like cutlery/salt, sugar etc) - retrieving it is damn near impossible if you travel alone - it's often not worth the hassle!

2. Queues. Queues to check in, queues to get through security, queues to get on the plane and then repeat it again to get off.

3. Small seats. AND its even worse if an overweight person sits beside you. Or, someone hogs the limited space - like chaps spreading legs widely - or those who take over the arm rest.

4. Automatic check-in. Actually I LOVE them when I don't have luggage. But as soon as I have luggage it warrants a listing in my pet peeves because it's another transaction I have to juggle and get in a queue to "bag drop" - if only it was just a bag drop. There HAS to be an easier way to do this.

5. Insufficient leg room. My knees are frequently jammed against the seat in front of me (OK ...OK, I am a coach/economy traveller!). Then with my knees touching the back of the seat, the passenger in front of me reclines their seat and crunches my tender kneecaps. Ouch!

6. Trays being left too long after the meal has finished.

7. The price of airport food and drinks. What is is about airports that they must charge us 20-50% more? Grrrrr.

8. When everyone is settled and the plane is ready to go (on time) but it can't leave because some inconsiderate passenger decided their time is more important and stayed too long in the duty free shops or bar. MAJOR irritation.

9. Small toilet cubicles. Travellers need a little more space. They also NEED hooks on the door.

I'm sure you will have your own list. If you want to...let me know - it's easy to leave a comment on my site and I will add your "pet peeve" to the list. You never know we might get a ground swell of "issues" and get some change......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree you with you on point #1

Its almost on par with cafe's using plastic plates and cups so they dont have to do dishes.